IN THE PRESENCE OF MY ENEMY
by John D. Shaw
20 December 1943 – rookie pilot Charlie Brown and the crew of B-17 Ye Old Pub manage to bomb the Focke-Wolf factory in Bremen despite severe damage over target. Turning for home, the damage was starting to show and the straggler now became a magnet for encircling Luftwaffe fighters, who pulverised the already battered Fortress. Somehow, Brown managed to keep her in the air – just.
It wasn’t long before Franz Stigler’s Bf109 was spotted approaching at speed; all on board believed their days were now finally numbered. But Luftwaffe Ace Stigler had other thoughts.
As he circled the wrecked B-17 he could clearly see the dead tail-gunner and other badly wounded men obviously unable to bail out. Compassion took the better part of valour.
Instead of shooting down the Fortress, Stigler escorted the bomber over the North Sea coast on a heading for England.
Stigler never reported the incident. Had he done so he would in all probability have been shot as a traitor yet many years later, through serendipity and good fortune, both men would meet again and become firm friends.
Publisher's Proof Edition
Personally signed by EIGHTEEN veterans of both the Luftwaffe and 8th Air Force, including the two men famously depicted, Oberleutnant FRANZ STIGLER and Lieutenant Colonel CHARLIE BROWN!
- Oberleutnant Franz Stigler IC
- Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Brown AFC
- Master Sergeant E.E Mischler
- Staff Sergeant Joe Clarke
- Staff Sergeant Robert Egnew
- Lieutenant Newt Moy
- Lieutenant Colonel Mel Dunn
- Captain Henry Heintz
- Staff Sergeant Don Groomer
- Leutnant Jorg Czypionka IRON CROSS
- Staff Sergeant Hugh McGinty
- First Lieutenant Clayton Nattier
- Oberleutnant Kurt Schulze
- Second Lieutenant Don Carlson
- Staff Sergeant George Meshko
- Staff Sergeant William Roche
- Staff Sergeant Earwin Ekeland
- First Lieutenant Theodore Stell
- 32 x 22.5 inches
- Release Date:
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.