G FOR GEORGE
by Robert Taylor
One lancaster aircraft typified the resilience of the men and machines of RAF Bomber Command: Flying with 460 Squadron RAAF, Lancaster serial number W4783, call sign G For George, took part in almost every major attack on Germany between December 1942 and its retirement in 1944, completing no fewer than 90 bombing sorties.
Robert Taylor's emotive painting shows G For George, damaged and straggling home at the back of the pack, returning from one of the famous lancaster's last grueling sorties. This specially published commemorative edition helps aid the preservation of G for George, which proudly resides at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
The Captain's Edition
Each print is signed by THREE distinguished Lancaster pilots, having piloted George on a total of 37 of this aircrafts 90 operational sorties.
- Flying Officer Harold G. Carter DFC
- Flight Lieutenant John A. Critchley DFC
- Flight Lieutenant Jack N. Murray DFM
The Aircrew Edition
Each print in the Aircrew Edition is signed by the following TWELVE additional signatories of RAF Bomber Command who flew a total of 48 operational sorties on 'G for George', making a total of FIFTEEN signatures:
- Flight Lieutenant Edward H. Anderson
- Flying Officer M. Leo Armstrong
- Flight Lieutenant John R. Austin
- Flight Lieutenant Wesley H Betts
- Flight Lieutenant Harry L Britton
- Flying Officer Donald J Dyson
- Flight Lieutenant John H Grahame
- Flying Officer Keith E Harris
- Flying Officer William M Mitchell DFC DFM
- Flight Lieutenant Claremont L Taylor DFC
- Flight Lieutenant Clive H Tindale DFM
- Warrant Officer Victor Widdup
The Command Officer's Edition
A total of EIGHTEEN signatures, this rare G for GEORGE edition is also signed by two Commanding Officers of 460 Sqn RAAF. Separate prints of Robert Taylor's evocative pencil drawing, UNDER THE BRIDGE, available only within the Commanding Officer's Edition, are signed by Wing Commander Peter Isaacson.
- Air Commodore Horton D Marsh CBE DFC
- Wing Commander Charles E. Martin DSO DFC
- Wing Commander Peter Isaacson (companion)
- 28 x 22 inches
- Release Date:
Framing Service available on this item
Interested in having this item framed? Our expert team are on hand to review your bespoke requirements. Simply tick the framing box at the checkout and we’ll contact you to discuss the best framing choices for your piece plus delivery options. For further information about our framing service click here.